Dictionary of Terminology



Below is a collection of terms you may come across at the University.
If you hear any other expressions that are unfamiliar, please contact us so we can add them to the list.

Academic adviser/advisor

Academic advisors provide students with course selection advice, including advice on dual degree plans, and can offer advice on careers and opportunities for postgraduate studies. In some cases, academic advisers are located in faculty offices and in other cases, they are located in school offices. Your faculty office can assist you to find the appropriate advisor.

Academic penalty

This is normally expressed as "withdrawal with academic penalty" and effectively means that a failing grade of zero (0) is recorded. The result that appears will be a grade of "K" and this will lower your grade point average (GPA). Refer to myAdvisor for additional information.   

Academic record

There are two types of academic records: official and unofficial.

  • The official academic record, called a "transcript", is produced by the University's Student Centres for a fee (a complimentary copy is provided to graduating students).
  • The unofficial academic record, known as a "studies report", can be printed from mySI-net.

Information about what is contained on an official academic record is found in the Policies and Procedures Library (PPL), section 3.50.1. See myAdvisor, for more information on Academic transcripts and how to apply for them.

Academic standing

Academic standing describes the state of your academic progress in a program and there are four main types:

Academic transcript

Also known as: Academic record

Academic warning

An official notification of unsatisfactory academic progress. Circumstances which lead to an academic warning are set out in the Academic Progression Procedures – see section 5 'Academic Standing'.

Advanced standing

Also known as: Credit

Advisor (supervisor)

All higher degree by research students (PhD, MPhil) have at least two advisers (supervisors) who guide their research projects, monitor and advise on progress towards completion of their thesis, and mentor their academic development.

Alternative entry

The basis of competition for admission to a program on the basis of alternative options, other than formal secondary or tertiary qualifications.

Please note: the entry rank required must be met and program prerequisites fulfilled.


All UQ graduates are considered UQ alumni.


An appeal is a formal, written request made by a student to a higher authority to have a decision made by a staff member overturned. The procedure to be followed, and other relevant information, is included in the Policies and Procedures Library (PPL), section 3.60.05.

Procedures on appeals to the Senate Student Appeals Committee are found in PPL, section 3.60.05.

See Grievance resolution procedures in myAdvisor for additional information.


The UQ Library's AskUs service offers a range of help and support for UQ students, including research assistance and help with use of information technology in your studies.

AskUs is located in, and managed by, The University of Queensland Library. Assistance is available at AskUs service points, by email, telephone, and via the Library website. Training classes, including training in word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software, are also available.

Get more information:

Assessment methods

Work that must be completed as part of a course to earn a grade. Assessment requirements for each course are provided at the beginning of the semester in the "Course profile".

Associate Dean (Academic)

Each faculty has an Associate Dean (Academic), who is responsible for managing matters relating to the academic progress made by students in the undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs on offer in their faculty.

Associate degree

An associate degree is an AQF Level 6 qualification that introduces the foundations of a discipline or several different disciplines.

Award certificate

The certificate given to students when they graduate (also called degree certificate, or testamur)

Award students

Award students are enrolled in a program offered by the University of Queensland that leads to a degree, certificate or diploma issued by UQ. Students are given an award certificate (also called testamur or degree certificate) at the completion of their program.

Compare with Non-Award enrolment.

Bachelor's program

A bachelor's program is an AQF Level 7 qualification that involves three to five years of full-time study. Programs are designed to provide the knowledge and skills for work in a specialist area.

Within a bachelor's program, there is often an opportunity to choose areas of specialisation (e.g. majors). 

Bachelor's programs are often the first step towards postgraduate study, or they can be taken in conjunction with another bachelor's degree. This combination is called a dual program.


An educational, teaching and learning framework providing electronic delivery of coursework material. Online course information is provided to students to enable them to access course information and communication in an interactive environment.

Visit learn.uq.edu.au

Blue Card

A positive notice blue card issued under the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian Act 2000.


The site at the University where a program is conducted. UQ has four campuses: St Lucia, Gatton, Herston and Ipswich. Many other locations including Turbot Street (Dental School) are also used for teaching and research.

Census date

The date set by the University when your fee liability is finalised based on your enrolment details.

It's also the day that all HELP arrangements (e.g. HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP) are finalised and the last date you can drop courses without financial liability.

For standard semesters, Census Date is: 

  • March 31 for Semester 1.
  • August 31 for Semester 2.
  • December 18 for Summer Semester.

Census dates for non-standard teaching periods and medical rotations are avaliable on myUQ, or on the student home page in mySI-net.

If you're studying at UQ College, census dates for trimesters are displayed on the Academic Calendar

HDR students should refer to the Graduate School website for research quarter census dates.


A qualification for a practically-orientated program of hands-on training in a particular area.

Certified copy

A photocopy of an original document which has been signed by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations or the issuing authority stating that the photocopy is a true and exact copy of the original.


At UQ, a clash generally refers to classes or examinations timetables, when two classes or examinations are scheduled at the same time.

Class Contact

Contact is the number of hours (usually per week) of attendance required at a lecture, tutorial or practical. In mySI-net, this is represented by a combination of letters and figures within brackets.

For example (2L1T3P)

  • 2L means you have 2 hours of lecture,
  • 1T a one hour tutorial and a
  • 3P 3 hour practical (laboratory) each week.

The symbols are used as a way of explaining variations in the way courses are taught and the kind of class contact. The first symbol denotes the kind of class contact, as outlined below:


General Contact, perhaps a group learning situation






IT (Computing) session, usually in a computer training room or studio.


Lecture, a presentation to a class, often in an auditorium or theatre, of core course matter.


Clinical Hours


Practical, consisting of laboratory or project work


Seminar, a presentation similar to a lecture, perhaps made by students, and possibly with opportunities for discussion and interaction.


Tutorial, a small class environment characterised by discussion and peer interaction, often supplementary to lectures.


Workshop, practical work with a creative emphasis.


Peer Assisted Study Sessions class (PASS)


Clinical Based Learning (CBL)




Problem Based Learning (PBL)


Clinical Coaching

Commonwealth Assisted Student

A student who is a Commonwealth supported student or who is in receipt of a Higher Education Help Programme (HELP) loan or a Commonwealth Scholarship (CS)

Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)

A unique identifier for each domestic student that accesses Commonwealth assistance for higher education.

Commonwealth Scholarships (CS)

Commonwealth funded scholarships available for application to full-time undergraduate domestic students, who are high academic achievers despite experiencing financial hardship. See the Scholarships website for further details.

Commonwealth supported place

A higher education place for which the Commonwealth makes a contribution direct to the University towards the cost of the student’s education.

Commonwealth supported student

A student who occupies a Commonwealth supported place.

Community Access Program (CAP)

The Community Access Program (CAP) enables all members of the community to attend classes and study courses (subjects). Courses are taken on an "assessed" basis and fees are payable. Currently only the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences offers the Community Access Program.

Companion Course (Comp:)

A companion course is a course that has a requirement to enrol in another course at the same semester (or which has been previously passed). It is sometimes expressed as 'Comp:' in the Course catalogue. Companion courses are also called 'corequisites'. To view more detail about these courses, type the code into the course search on the homepage.

Compulsory course (or core courses)

A course which must be passed in order to complete the requirements of a particular program. See also Elective course

Continuing students

You are a "continuing student" if you were enrolled in the same program in a previous semester.

Convocation Roll

A register of all graduates of the University or the former Queensland Agricultural College at Gatton. Graduates are automatically registered on the Convocation Roll.

Corequisite (Coreq:)

Enrolment is not permitted in the course unless the student has passed, has been granted credit for, or is concurrently enrolled in any course listed as a corequisite.


A distinct unit of study within a program, normally undertaken over one semester for which a result is given. Each course is identified by its alphanumeric code, a title and a fixed unit value. Courses are normally completed in one or two semesters.

A course was formerly known as subject at UQ.

Course Catalogue

The course catalogue is the official listing of courses offered by the University of Queensland.

Course coordinator

The teaching staff member with overall responsibility for teaching a particular course.

Course list

Previously known as Program list, the list of courses, approved by the Executive Dean, to be studied in a program. Reference to [ABC] list, when used in program rules, means the program list for those rules where [ABC] is the official abbreviation of the award to which the program leads.

Course plan

An outline of courses to be studied on a semester-by-semester basis. At UQ, these are also called a study plan and/or a program plan.

Course Profile

A statement of the essential details of a course, in particular its objectives and goals, how performance will be assessed and other general assessment expectations and penalties. The University requires that each student has access to a copy of a Course Profile at the beginning of the semester. See the Policies and Procedures Library (PPL), section 3.10.03, The Course Profile, for more details.

Coursework Master

Coursework program

The Australian Government defines a coursework program, as distinct from a higher degree by research, as a program where the assessable content by research represents less than two-thirds of the total assessable content for the program.


Credit has different definitions at UQ. You receive credit toward a program when you have passed a course that is counting toward the degree requirements. If you are changing programs, you may apply for 'credit' - please refer to the definition of Credit transfer (transfer credit).

Credit transfer (transfer credit)

Credit transfer (or transfer credit) may be granted when a student changes from one program to another. Credit may be transferred to the new program if the rules of the new program allow. The faculty administering the new program should be consulted for assistance. The following are types of transfer credit:

  • Specified credit is granted when an exact or near exact equivalence to a UQ course can be demonstrated.
  • Specified credit is more commonly granted in set programs and/or for compulsory courses.
  • Unspecified credit is granted when an exact or near exact equivalence cannot be demonstrated. Unspecified credit is also granted for elective courses.
  • Block credit is granted as a specific number of units and may be granted on the basis of studies judged to be comparable to part of a given program. Block credit, sometimes referred to as "articulation credit" is often granted where formal agreements exist (e.g. students who completed polytechnic diplomas may gain credit for the first year or two of a degree program). Refer to thePolicies and Procedures Library (PPL), section 3.50.03, Credit for Previous Studies and Recognised Prior Learning for additional information.


The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) Code indicates a registered program offered to international students studying in Australia on student visas.


Cross-institutional students undertake study at one institution while they are formally enrolled at another. UQ students who wish to take a course at another university and have credit transferred to the UQ program must obtain permission in advance from their faculty.


The minimum OP, Rank, or grade point average required for entry to a program in a particular year. Cut-offs are not predetermined and vary from year to year.


Deferment is an approved delay to starting university and usually lasts for one year.


At UQ, a degree is called a Program.

Also known as: Program

Degree certificate

Also known as: Award certificate

Degree testamur


A qualification that provides skills and knowledge directly relevant to workplace activities typically requiring two years of study. 


A field of related studies (e.g. biology, physics, mathematics, history).

Distance education

Students studying by distance education are not required to regularly attend a University campus. See also External student

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

Postgraduate research award program usually undertaken over a period of 3 to 4 years. The program includes research thesis involving at least two-thirds of the work for the degree. Entry requires a bachelor degree with a minimum of honours class IIA or equivalent.

Domestic student

A student who is an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident.

Dual Degree Program

A combination of two UQ programs undertaken at the same time.

Each dual program has a single set of Program Rules.

Once you have fulfilled the requirements of both degrees, you may graduate with two qualifications.

Prospective students can view available dual programs on the Future Students website. 

If you're a current student, search for your dual program in the program and course catalogue and use the dual degree planner to plan your studies.


The amount of time normally taken to complete a program. Duration is expressed in terms of full and part-time (where allowable) study.


A Deputy Vice-Chancellor. See also VC (Vice-Chancellor)

Elective course

Courses students can choose, which, when added to the compulsory (required) courses, enable degree requirements to be met.

Employment opportunities

A guide to possible future job options and career areas for which a graduate of the program may be qualified.

Enrolling unit

The School or Institute that an HDR candidate is primarily enrolled through. 

Equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL)

One EFTSL (formerly EFTSU) is a measure of the standard annual study load of a student undertaking a program on a full-time basis.


A program where students at approved overseas universities study at UQ for a semester or two as part of their home university degrees and where current UQ students study at an approved overseas university for one or two semesters as part of their UQ degrees.

Executive Dean

The Executive Dean is the head of a particular faculty.

See the Executive Deans.

Exemption (credit transfer)

An exemption does not reduce the number of units required to complete the program but rather, allows a course to be substituted for another. Refer to the Credit Transfer policy for more information.

External student

Mode of study where students undertake their entire program through distance education. See also Distance education


The major division of the University responsible for academic programs. Faculties may have a number of subdivisions called schools. The head of a faculty is called the Executive Dean.

There are six faculties at the University:

UQ students: the faculty that administers your program is listed on mySI-net. After logging in, select Program > Program summary. Your faculty is listed as the “Program owner”.

Fee paying place

A place that is occupied by a fee-paying student.

Fee paying student

A student who pays tuition fees. Fee-paying students are also known as “non-Commonwealth supported students”.


A loan scheme allowing eligible domestic students to defer payment of their tuition fees through the tax system.

Financial penalty

Describes a liability to pay student contribution amounts, HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, fees and/or other charges if enrolment is cancelled in a course or courses after the Census Date.

Flexible learning (flexible delivery)

A combination of study types offered as an alternative to on-campus study in some programs.

Focus area

See Plan.

Full fee paying programs

The University offers full fee paying places that are not subsidised by the federal government.

Full tuition fees

Fees paid by domestic and international fee paying (ie non-Commonwealth supported) students.


A standard full-time study load is 8 units per semester. "Full time" is defined as 75 per cent or more of a standard full-time study load (i.e. 6 units or more per semester for most programs is counted as "full-time study").

International students studying in Australia must be enrolled in 8 units per semester.

For students wanting to improve their entry score to upgrade, one full-time year of study means a minimum of 16 units (8 courses) of study.

Full-Time workload

This is sometimes expressed as the estimated number of required hours per week of formal class contact (such as lectures, tutorials and laboratory work) and independent study. Refer also to 'Full-Time'.

Grade point average (GPA)

The average of the grade of the results obtained by a student, weighted by the unit value of each course in which the student enrolled. GPA is determined on a semester basis.


A student who has completed all of the requirements for a program but has not yet been formally awarded the degree.


A student who has completed all of the requirements for a program who has been formally awarded the degree. The date of graduation is the date of the official ceremony for that program whether a student attends the ceremony or not.

Graduate certificate

Postgraduate coursework program typically requiring 0.5 years (or 1 semester) full-time enrolment or equivalent.

Graduate diploma

Postgraduate coursework program typically requiring 1 year (or 2 semesters) full-time enrolment or equivalent.

Graduate entry

Indicates options available for some programs which are open only to students who have already completed an undergraduate degree.


A term used to describe a disagreement, usually with a decision made by a staff member. The University encourages students to seek an informal solution to their problem and has developed a procedure to follow Policies and Procedures Library (PPL), Section 3.60.02). See also the Grievance resolution processes page in myAdvisor.

Head of School

A member of the academic staff of the University responsible for the teaching, research and administration of a particular school. Heads of school report to executive deans.


Prior to 2005, the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) required students who are Australian/New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents to contribute towards the cost of their higher education. The HECS liability was calculated each semester based on the enrolment at the relevant census date. HECS was replaced with HECS-HELP in 2005. See HECS-HELP.


A loan scheme available to Australian citizens or Australian permanent humanitarian visa holders to pay their student contribution amount by deferring payment through the taxation system. HECS-HELP is calculated on a semester-by-semester basis, based on a student's enrolled courses at the census date for a given semester.

Higher degree by research

The Australian Government defines a higher degree by research, as distinct from a coursework program, as a program where the assessable content by research represents more than two-thirds of the total assessable content.

A higher degree by research (HDR) is a term that collectively refers to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Philosophy (MPhil), and Doctor of Biotechnology. 

Research is undertaken across the academic disciplines, in areas as diverse as molecular biology, law, engineering, health and rehabilitation, human movement, midwifery, education, and music. 

An HDR student produces new knowledge and expertise in their chosen field that is innovative, relevant and progressive.  

Higher doctorate

The University awards several higher doctorates, which are administered by the faculties.

A higher doctorate is a way of providing formal public recognition to scholars who have made substantial, original and distinguished contributions to knowledge in their field of expertise.

There is a list of higher doctorates available at the University. 

To view eligibility and application procedures, open the Program Rules and Requirements section and click on "Rules for the Doctor of..."

Higher Education Information Management System (HEIMS)

An electronic information system that will provide students and higher education providers with a range of relevant information, such as the availability and usage of Commonwealth assistance by students and information on programme management reporting.

Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)

A loan program to help eligible students pay student contributions (HECS-HELP), tuition fees (FEE-HELP) and overseas study expenses (OS-HELP).

Holder of a humanitarian visa

A permanent resident who holds a visa of a humanitarian sub-class as determined by the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Holder of a non-humanitarian visa

A permanent resident who holds a visa of a sub-class which excludes the humanitarian visa sub-class, as determined by Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).


Students planning to complete an HDR program (i.e. a Master of Philosophy or PhD) or further study are usually required to complete a bachelor's program with honours. Programs will either have:

  1. A "built in" honours year – these are usually four or five-year programs (e.g. Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours), Bachelor of Engineering (Honours). 
  2. A separate honours year – high-achieving students can apply for separate one-year honours programs (e.g. Bachelor Arts (Honours), Bachelor of Science (Honours), Bachelor of Nursing (Honours). 

Honours is awarded in the following classes:

  • Class I
  • Class IIA
  • Class IIB
  • Class IIIA
  • Class IIIB

Class of honours usually depends on your GPA. Consult your program rules for more information. 

Incompatible (Inc:)

Credit is not given for a course if credit has been obtained for any course listed as an incompatible.

Sometimes expressed as Inc: in the Course information on mySI-net.


A method of flexible delivery study mode where students attend short periods (1-2 weeks) on-campus.


A method of flexible delivery study mode where students attend short periods (1-2 weeks) on-campus.


A method of flexible delivery study mode where students attend short periods (1-2 weeks) on-campus.

Internal student

Mode of study where students attend classes on campus during the semester.

International student

A student who is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, nor a New Zealand citizen, and is enrolled or proposes to enrol at an institution in Australia. Temporary residents of Australia are also classified as international students.

Interruption of studies

A break in studies in a program that a student has already commenced. Formal permission to interrupt may be required from the executive dean. Students who want to take time off from their studies should contact their faculty office, as most programs have time limits within which a program must be completed.

ITI (Interstate Transfer Index)

For admission to tertiary programs, all States/Territories of Australia produce an overall measure of their students' achievements in a common index that allows for comparisons to be made across States/Territories and across time. The Interstate Transfer Index (ITI) is called the UAI in NSW/ACT; the ENTER in Victoria; and the TER in SA/NT, Tasmania and WA.

Loan fee

A fee that applies to all OS-HELP and undergraduate FEE-HELP loans.

Lynda.com online courses

Lynda.com is a software and skills training website free for UQ students and staff.

Major/Double Major

An area of specialised study within a program, e.g. history. A major, extended major or dual major may be a formal requirement in a program (refer to the program rules for the program or consult the faculty office). Within UQ, a major is sometimes also referred to as a plan.

Formal definitions are found in the UQ policy, Program Nomenclature in the Policies and Procedures Library (PPL), section 3.20.04.

Master of Philosophy (MPhil)

A postgraduate higher degree by research (HDR) program undertaken over a period of one to two years. Entry usually requires an honours degree or equivalent.

Masters by coursework

A master other than a research master: a postgraduate program requiring completion of at least 1-2 years (or 2 or 4 semesters) full time study or equivalent. Programs consist of a series of specialist courses and sometimes a research component.

Mature age entry

Also known as: Alternative entry


A milestone may form part of the formal program requirements for an award although a student does not enrol in a "milestone".

Proof of completion of these "non-academic" requirements, e.g., work experience, first aid certificate, may be required before a student is awarded a degree.


A small group of courses (subjects) in a discipline worth about half the value of a major. Minors often complement a major and sometimes involve emerging disciplines. Minors are available only in some UQ programs.


The way a course is delivered. Modes include internal (on-campus), external (off-campus or via distance education), or web based. See also Flexible learning


Your personalised portal or doorway to the services you need as a UQ student. You can use it to access your email, enter mySI-net, access online resources for the courses in which you are enrolled, view your calendar and address book, see important reminders, search the web and find out what's happening at UQ and around the world. The website is at https://my.uq.edu.au


The University's website which gathers into one place a wide range of essential information for students including material on enrolment, assessment, financial matters, services, policies, and students' rights and responsibilities. myAdvisor is located athttp://www.uq.edu.au/myadvisor/


The University's website which allows you to enrol, add/cancel courses, change your address, check class and exam timetables, view your results, view and pay your HECS-HELP contribution or fee liability and check on your overall enrolment. mySI-net is found at: https://www.sinet.uq.edu.au/

National priority areas

Areas for which the Commonwealth offers additional assistance, either through offering additional places, increasing Commonwealth contributions or reducing the maximum student contribution amounts. Currently, education and nursing are national priority areas.

National priority places

Commonwealth supported places in national priority areas.

Non-Award enrolment

A student is a non-award student if they are enrolled in a course or courses, but they are not officially enrolled in an academic program that leads to the conferral of a university award (an "award" is the qualification you earn after completing an academic program).

Examples include students enrolled in the Enhanced Studies Program, cross-institutional students, and Study Abroad students. Compare with Award students.

OP (overall position)

OP is the Overall Position assigned to students who complete Queensland Year 12 studies in a certain number of subjects required by the Queensland Studies Authority.

Ordinary student learning entitlement (SLE)

Orientation (O-week)

A program of activities and information sessions to introduce new students to the university to assist the transition to tertiary study. UQ offers orientation programs in January/February and July each year.


A cash loan available to assist eligible Commonwealth supported students to study overseas for credit towards their UQ program.

OS-HELP maximum

The maximum loan amount that a student can receive in respect of a given six-month period.

Overseas student

Also known as: International student


A student who enrols in less than 75 per cent of a program's standard full-time study load (i.e. less than 6 units per semester in most programs) is a part-time student.

Part-time enrolment is not available to international students who are studying in Australia.

Permanent resident

A person who holds a visa to remain in Australia as a permanent resident.


Plan is the my-SInet term for a major or field of study within a program.

Policy and Procedures Library

The UQ Policy and Procedures Library (PPL) is the central UQ repository for approved policies, procedures, guidelines and forms. The PPL contains policy and related documents on topics relevant to students, staff and the UQ community.


Generally a laboratory session (usually in science or engineering programs) where experiments or other type of laboratory work are undertaken.

Pre-2005 HECS student

A continuing student who commenced their program prior to 2005 as a HECS-liable student and who may be able to access HECS-HELP under pre-2005 HECS eligibility requirements. The maximum student contribution amounts for a place for pre-2005 HECS students must not be higher than those for students commencing in 2005.

Pre-2005 student

A student who commenced their program prior to 2005 and who may be eligible to have their access to student support programs determined under the Higher Education Funding Act 1998.

Pre-2008 Commonwealth supported student

A continuing Commonwealth supported student who has been enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student in an award program, which is not yet completed or discontinued, which commenced after 2004 and prior to 2008, and who is not a pre-2005 student in 2008. For more details, please refer tomyAdvisor.

Prerequisite (by course)

The course(s) that must have been previously passed to be able to enrol in a particular course. A prerequisite course provides the appropriate foundation knowledge in order to progress to the next course.

Students are expected to be aware of the required prerequisites (often expressed as Pre: in the Course information on mySI-net) as, in most cases, the University does not check to see if you have completed the prerequisite courses.

Prerequisite (for entry into a program)

Specific subjects or courses that students need to have studied and passed at year 12 matriculation level or tertiary equivalent. Prerequisites vary between programs, and are intended to ensure that students can handle the program content. Prerequisites are met through a variety of qualifications, such as secondary studies, bridging programs, tertiary study or alternative qualifications.

Professional doctorate

Coursework programs which allow experienced professionals to return to study to improve their professional practice through the application of research to current problems and issues. This qualification combines coursework and research, with a research component of not less than 33% and not more than 66%. The research should make a significant contribution to knowledge and practice in the profession.

Professional memberships

Professional organisations, associations, institutes and societies to which a student or a graduate of a particular program may be qualified to join. Students can check with school or faculty offices to see what professional memberships might be available.


A sequence of study leading to the award of a qualification such as a bachelor degree, graduate diploma or certificate.

Program Code

A unique identifying number assigned by the University to a program.

Program description

A broad outline of the program, stating its focus, objectives and structure (eg requirements to complete the degree).

Program list

Program plan

Program Type

Program type is the level of the program within the Australian higher education system. Examples are bachelor, bachelor (honours), Graduate Certificate etc.


The Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) is the central admissions body for all Queensland undergraduate programs. Australian year 12 students and International students taking year 12 in Australia apply through QTAC for entry into undergraduate programs.


A unique code number assigned by QTAC to each individual undergraduate university program.


Allocated to university applicants who are not current year 12 students in Queensland (OP eligible). Entry ranks range from 1-99, with 99 being the highest obtainable. Rank is usually determined by academic results in the highest level of study completed. (If students have very little formal study other factors may be taken into consideration; see Alternative entry).

Recommended Companion

Courses that a student is advised to have undertaken before or at the same time as another course. It is sometimes expressed as C: in the Course catalogue. Companion courses are also called 'corequisites'.

Recommended corequisite (C:)

Courses that a student is advised to have undertaken before or at the same time as another course. It is sometimes expressed as C: in the Course catalogue.

Recommended Prerequisite (P:)

Courses that a student is advised to take before progressing to another course (sometimes expressed as P: in the course catalogue).

Recommended subjects

Courses/subjects that students should consider taking before they enter a particular program. These include year 12 or equivalent tertiary courses or subjects that are not compulsory prerequisites but are advantageous to have taken as they provide background knowledge.


This refers to a type of attendance mode for HDR students. An HDR student who conducts their research away from one of UQ’s three main campuses (St Lucia, Gatton, or Herston) may qualify as a remote student. 

Apply to the Graduate School to change your attendance mode to remote. 

Research Master

A degree which the Deputy Vice-Chancellor decides incorporates a research component involving at least 66% of the work for the degree.

Research Quarter

The UQ academic year is divided into research quarters for higher degree by research (HDR) students.  Research quarters commence on the following dates: 

  •  RQ1: 1 January.
  •  RQ2: 1 April.
  •  RQ3: 1 July.
  •  RQ4: 1 October.
Also known as: UQ Graduate School

Residential schools

Residential schools give distance education students the opportunity to attend tutorials or practical sessions on campus. Attendance may be compulsory or non-compulsory depending on the course. They provide an opportunity to liaise with lecturers and other students, and to access all campus facilities. Students pay for personal travel costs and accommodation.

Restricted (R:)

A course which is restricted to students enrolled in the program/s listed by abbreviated title. Sometimes expressed as R: in the Course catalogue.


A school is a subdivision of a faculty – in other words, a faculty is a collection of schools. 

Most of the University's teaching and research work happens in schools, and course coordinators and lecturers generally work in schools.

Contact your school if you have any questions about courses. Questions about your program should generally be directed at your faculty. 

UQ students: the school that teaches a course is listed on your electronic course profile as the "Coordinating Unit". 



The University teaching year is divided into three semesters:

  • Semester 1, Semester 2 (each 13-14 weeks of classes), and
  • Summer Semester between December and February (approximately 8 weeks of classes).

Most programs require students to only enrol in Semesters 1 and 2. Semester classes are followed by a revision period prior to examinations.

Important semester dates are available on the Academic Calendar

Show Cause

A request to show why a student's enrolment should not be cancelled due to unsatisfactory academic progress, as outlined in the Academic Progression Procedures – see section 5 'Academic Standing'.

Special examination

A special examination might be available to a student who is unable to sit a scheduled examination for medical or other adverse reasons. An application form and details of required supporting documentation is available from the myAdvisor website or from a Student Centre.


See Major


The Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) is a two-hour, multiple choice test administered by QTAC that enables Australian mature-age applicants to demonstrate aptitude for tertiary study.

Student Centre

The University has dedicated student centres on all three campuses, St Lucia, Gatton and at the Herston campus in the Mayne Medical School building. Student Centre staff can provide you with information on a range of matters relating to studies and student life.

Student contribution amounts

The student contribution that a given Commonwealth supported student pays for a given unit of study. See myAdvisor for more details.

Student contribution band

One of four bands of disciplinary areas into which given courses will fall. Student contribution bands are used to determine the maximum student contribution amounts, for both new and current students.

Student learning entitlement (SLE)

An entitlement that gives eligible students access to Commonwealth supported places for the equivalent of seven years of full-time study. Fee paying students do not use SLE. SeemyAdvisor for an explanation of ordinary SLE, available SLE, additional SLE & lifelong SLE.

Student Union

Studies report

An unofficial Academic Record which is available to students via mySI-net.

Study abroad

A program where students enrolled at an overseas university study at UQ for one or two semesters as part of their home university degrees.

Study area

These are broad discipline groupings by which the university has classified its programs.

Study plan

Subject Area

The discipline in which a course is included, expressed as a 4-letter abbreviation. For example COMP for "computing" in COMP1400.

Summer semester

A third teaching period in the academic year, running between December and mid-February. Students, including domestic students, generally pay fees in Summer Semester.


Also known as: Advisor (supervisor)

Supplementary examination

In some cases, students who fail a course, may be eligible an opportunity for a "second chance" to pass by undertaking a "supplementary examination". For further details, see themyAdvisor website.


Also known as: Award certificate

Tutorial (T:)

Usually a small discussion group that is offered to complement the material presented in lectures. It is sometimes expressed as "T" in the Course information on mySI-net.

Undeclared plan

When students have not specified which major/field of study they are undertaking, their enrolment will be labelled in mySI-net as an 'undeclared plan'.

Undergraduate degree program

Undergraduate programs

An Associate Degree, Bachelor, Certificate or post-secondary level program.


Universal Card Systems provides the University with ID cards for students and staff.


UQ's safety program designed to provide a safe campus. Facilities include a free safety bus service at night.

Unisafe escorts

Unisafe escorts are available to accompany staff and students anywhere on campus, on request, and/or during the evenings. Contact Security to book. (Telephone: 3365 1234 or 1 800 800 123).

Units (#)

Represent the value of individual courses which contribute to the total unit requirement of an academic program. A standard study load is 8 units per semester.


Generally refers to improving your OP or selection rank through further study so that you are eligible to transfer to another program.

UQ Abroad

A program where current UQ students study at an approved overseas university (on exchange) for one or two semesters as part of their UQ degrees.

UQ Graduate School

The UQ Graduate School is the central unit responsible for all research training at UQ. The Graduate School has responsibility for the policy framework pertaining to research training, for managing admissions, providing research scholarships, managing changes to candidature, processing milestone attainments and extensions, and facilitating the examination of theses. It also is there to ensure that you receive the best guidance and training throughout your candidature and have every opportunity to reach your career potential.

Website:   www.uq.edu.au/grad-school 
Email:       graduateschool@uq.edu.au 

Also known as: UQ Graduate School

UQ Union (Student union)

An organisation run for students by students. The Union aims to advance the interests of students through providing services, support, representation and fun.

The UQ Union website is located at: http://www.uqu.edu.au


Part of Information Technology Services (ITS). UQconnect provides Internet services for the UQ community, including UQ itself, a free Internet account for students, and commercial accounts for staff, students, alumni and community.


The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Peter Høj


Also known as: Academic warning


A mode of delivery where all course materials are delivered via the internet.

A-Z study terminology